[obol] Salishan Spit 5/5

  • From: "5hats@xxxxxxxx" <5hats@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 05:14:22 +0000

Sent from Windows Mail

Laura and I received access today to Salishan Spit on the west side of Siletz
Bay. So we drove out there and spent some time looking over the area.  By the
time we arrived it was after 2:30 PM, and must certainly have been ninety
degrees, so the birding, particularly for passerines,  was undoubtedly limited
compared to what it would have been earlier in the day.  However, the potential
in that area is enormous.  At mid-tide the west side of the bay has a great mix
of rock and sand habitat which attracts a variety of shorebirds.  We saw
DUNLIN, WESTERN and LEAST SANDPIPERS, GREATER YELLOWLEGS, BLACK-BELLIED and
SEMIMPALMATED PLOVER, WHIMBREL, and RUDDY TURNSTONE.  The habitat is such that
a much greater variety of shorebirds could be expected with regular coverage.
We also saw quite a few flocks of peeps coming in off the ocean and flying due
east to the opposite side of the bay, where access is limited, parking
difficult, and long range views the norm. A good scope would be very helpful in
birding Siletz Bay at any tide and from any location.  There was also a GREAT
EGRET in the pond midway down the spit, and the bay held lots of CASPIAN TERNS,
 and a flock of about twenty BRANT.

     Passerines were scarce.  We did see one odd sparrow, which I could only
assume to be an oddly plumaged SAVANNAH.  It had the characteristic form and
pattern of that species, but the entire face, other than the auricular region
and malar stripe, was plain mouse gray.  There was no yellow supraloral, nor
any yellow at all on the face.  I cannot recall ever seeing a Savannah Sparrow
in that particular plumage.  The only other sparrow species it slightly
resembled was a Lincoln’s, but it was not buffy enough for that species, the
flank striping was too bold, and the bird was not dainty enough overall.

   If one does not have vehicle access to the spit, the best approach would be
to walk from the parking lot at Salishan shopping mall along the nature trail
on the south edge of the bay.   From the parking lot there to the pond at the
mid point of the spit is a walk of about 1 1/2 miles.  It is about another .8
of a mile to the end of the road, and the best shorebird spot is closer to the
end.  The best potential area for passerines would be from the pond (there is a
large gravel pullout area there) to the end of the spit.

     We also walked over the foredune to the ocean.  From there we looked north
and saw about two hundred fifty people on the beach north of the mouth of the
river.  South of the river the beach was practically deserted.  There were only
two other people out there on probably close to two miles of beach.  There is a
considerable amount of dry sand beach with quite a bit of piled driftwood
there.  It would not surprise me if perhaps Snowy Plover could be found there
on occasion.