[obol] Salem Audubon at Minto Brown Island City Park, Mar 13, 2013

  • From: Tim Johnson <tim.the.fisherman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:08:08 -0700

Hi all:

Barbara Dolan and I were joined by 11 other birders this morning for
a Salem Audubon Field Trip at Minto-Brown Park, commencing at sunrise.  It
was a gorgeous winter morning -- sunny, warm, dry with calm winds. We
walked a little over 5 miles, cover much of the north end of the park
including the Croissan Creek trail to its confluence with the slough, the
North Pond and the Willamette River Trail.  A new species for the year
for many of us was the Wood Duck in two different locations.  We also heard
what may have been a FOY Black-headed Grosbeak singing from the top of the
line of firs on the Enchanted Forest Trail, but couldn't be certain.

This coming Sunday, Barbara and I will lead an SAS field trip at Ankeny
NWR, starting at 8:00 am at the Overlook Parking lot off of Ankeny Hill
Road .  We will circle the refuge, carpooling and stopping at the various
pullouts around the refuge. Join us if you can.

Tim Johnson
Salem, OR
503-507-8552
Minto Brown Island City Park, Marion, US-OR
Mar 13, 2013 7:28 AM - 11:56 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.25 mile(s)
48 species (+2 other taxa)

Cackling Goose (minima)  500  mostly at the North Pond (NP)
Cackling Goose (Taverner's)  4  with the minimas
Canada Goose (moffitti/maxima)  8
Wood Duck  5
Gadwall  7  NP
American Wigeon  9
Mallard  12
Northern Shoveler  85  NP
Northern Pintail  4  NP
Green-winged Teal  26  NP
Ring-necked Duck  2  NP
Lesser Scaup  14  along Willamette River (WR)
Bufflehead  13
Common Merganser  2  WR
Ring-necked Pheasant  1     Heard
Pied-billed Grebe  7