[obol] SAS Coast Field Trip Summary - November 19, 2015

  • From: Mike Unger <unger730@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Blog <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Mid-Valley Bird Blog <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 16:24:08 -0700

A bit late but here it is...

*Greetings Birders,*

This is a summary of the Salem Audubon Coast Trip with Wes Craven on
Thursday, November 19, 2015.

Eight birders proceeded to the Coast after some rain and wind previous day.
Our route was I-5 to Hwy 34 to Hwy 20. Around and after Toledo during one
of our first stops we had a change of weather to cold, wind and drizzle,
but this lifted the more west we drove to the Yaquina stops.

*Checklists included in this summary:*

(1): *US-OR-Newport-9357 Yaquina Bay Rd* *- 44.5889x-123.9582 @ 9:47 AM *-
This stop was as we were in or around Toledo along the river. On the river
side, we studied the gulls and Wes found a Thayer's Gull for all to enjoy.
A little further another pull out across from Purple Martin Boxes, but
north we had a nice group of Bufflehead and Hooded Mergansers in the same
area of water, but in their distinctive groups. We also had some Domestic
and/or Greyleg looking geese that got our attention.

(2*): US-OR-Newport-Port Dock - 44.6272x-124.0252 @ 10:42 AM *- This
included the stop with the large blue tank coming into Yaquina and next the
docks where many sea lions were amass and vocal. We did see a Brandt's
Cormorant closely thanks to Lowell and a female Red-breasted Merganser off
the dock. The quarter mile or more line of ducks that were distant in the
far bay challenged even scoping. We were able to pick out a couple of
Canvasback among the ducks.

(3): *US-OR-Newport-267 SW Bay Blvd - 44.6301x-124.0520 @ 11:18 AM—*Yaquina
Bay; we parked and walked in the bay edge using the trail through to the
science center bridge. Lowell Spring found a single White-winged Scoter out
past buoys. We enjoyed the Brant in their notable group. Scoping for gulls
and the lessons Wes provided were great. The second Bald Eagle got gulls,
Brant, ducks and all up.

(4): *US-OR-Newport-SE Jetty Way - 44.6175x-124.0572* *@ 12:56 PM*-- We
made only a short stop here and were quite taken by the number of Brown
Pelicans.

(5): *Depoe Bay Harbor @ 1:58 PM* - This is the Depoe Bay water entrance
with rocks below the Whale Watch Building that has been refurbished. The
docent reported seeing whales today. We were fortunate as the tide was high
and splashing on the rocks, finding the Black Oystercatcher.

(6): *US-OR-Depoe Bay-Boiler Bay State Wayside - 44.8295x-124.0652* - It
was here that we saw a group of Harlequin Duck and White-winged Scoter and
the Black Turnstones.

*In conclusion:*

With the shorter day, and passing up Yaquina Lighthouse we headed for home
after Boiler Bay. With the storm lifting, we saw actual sunshine in the
late day etching the far west waters as clouds broke up. It was great to
be at the Coast. Thanks to all who sighted and helped with counting the
species we saw.

Report provided by Barbara Dolan

*Here are the species with 41 taxa. *

200 Brant -- (3)
45 American Wigeon -- (1)
45 Mallard -- (1)
102 Northern Pintail -- (3)
2 Canvasback -- (2)
1 Greater/Lesser Scaup -- (2)
5 Harlequin Duck -- (6)
21 Surf Scoter -- (2),(3)
6 White-winged Scoter -- (6)
45 Bufflehead -- (1)
15 Hooded Merganser -- (1)
1 Red-breasted Merganser -- (3)
9 Ruddy Duck -- (2)
17 Common Loon -- (1),(3)
2 Horned Grebe -- (3)
10 Western Grebe -- (3)
1 Brandt's Cormorant -- (3)
30 Double-crested Cormorant -- (1)
500 Brown Pelican -- (4)

4 Great Blue Heron -- (1),(2)

1 Great Egret--(1)

2 Bald Eagle -- (1),(3)
6 Black Oystercatcher -- (5)
3 Killdeer -- (1)
4 Black Turnstone -- (6)
3 Mew Gull -- (1)
2 Western Gull -- (1),(3)
7 California Gull -- (1),(3),(6)
1 Herring Gull -- (3)
1 Thayer's Gull -- (1)
17 Western x Glaucous-winged Gull (hybrid) -- (1),(3)
40 gull sp. -- (3),(6)
1 Belted Kingfisher -- (1)
2 American Crow -- (3)
1 Common Raven -- (1)