[obol] Re: Rusty Blackbird and MSP

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: BILL ROSIE TICE <watice@xxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 00:05:37 +0000

Same bird? Almost assuredly not. Although Rusty Blackbirds are not detected
that often in w. Oregon, they are not so few that we should presume the
disappearance of one and appearance of another 50+ miles away the next day are
related events. Multiple Rusty Blackbirds are found in Washington state every
year. Here in Oregon, scant few birders pay attention much attention to
blackbird flocks. A few years ago, after I found one of several Rusty
Blackbirds that I've found in Oregon, another birder sent me a private message
asking what I was doing that caused me to stop and look at a flock of
blackbirds n. of Eugene. His query was something like:
"Were you scouting for the CBC or counting the Eurasian Collared-Doves at the
feedlot?"
He was rather surprised to learn that, no, I found that Rusty Blackbird because
I had stopped to specifically look for Rusty Blackbirds. If you hope to see a
Rusty in Oregon half of the battle is knowing when (October/November is the
prime season) and where (feedlots and manure piles with lots of other
blackbirds have yielded most of my Rusties) to look and then making a point of
doing so. As these recent sightings indicate, Rusties aren't restricted to
barnyards and livestock operations, but I've had my best 'luck' at such places.
Any mixed blackbird flock will do. That said, I've never found a Rusty with
only Red-wingeds or Brewer's and they seem more likely to end up in the big
flocks.
Dave IronsPortland, OR

From: watice@xxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] Rusty Blackbird and MSP
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 23:39:28 +0000

Hi Folks,
I met with Brandon Wagner around noon at Monmoth Sewage Ponds and refound the
Rusty Blackbird.  It is a female, and not difficult to differentiate from any
Brewar's Blackbird, of which there were none present anyway.  There were 2
adult male Red-winged Blackbirds and plenty of starlings there, and it does not
seem to associate with either.

As birders have had a good relationship with the staff of MSP, we were able to
negotiate weekend birding there.  So for those of you who would like to chase
this bird, the staff is leaving one of the gates (I think the one straight
ahead as you drive into the area: the other is between the cable/satellite
building and the public works building - both off to the right) unlocked, but
there is to be a chain allowing it to be opened enough for birders to get
through.  Please close it after going in or out.

The bird was seen at the first lagoon, on all four sides of this lagoon, either
at the water's edges or in the brush or trees or marsh (west side).   We heard
that the Forest Grove bird was not found today, so are wondering if this is the
same one?  Brandon has good pics, so may weigh in on it.  Good luck.

Bill Tice: Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and avoiding chores.