[obol] Rough-legged Hawk, Yaquina Head

  • From: whoffman@xxxxxxxx
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 16:11:41 -0700 (PDT)

Hi -

I observed and photographed a Rough-legged Hawk at Yaquina Head this morning,
Oct. 18, 2015.

It was in dark phase immature plumage which puzzled me for a few minutes.
Underwing pattern was very typical for Rough-legged, with dark wing linings and
pale to whitish in the flight feathers. Under surface of the tail was pale,
gradually darkening toward the tip, forming a diffuse dark terminal band.
Breast and belly were fairly dark and mottled, with no obvious belly band.
Upper surface of the tail was even gray-brown whith no white band. Upper
surface of the wings was soft gray-brown with a big pale patch in the
primaries. Back was basically gray-brown. Head was a bit paler, with a distinct
supercilium.

Wayne