[obol] Rock Wren - Cottage Grove (and Osprey in the news)

  • From: Tori Morgan <toripony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 23:03:16 -0700

This evening (Saturday) I found a Rock Wren hanging around the boulders along the fence near the entrance to the Water Treatment Plant in Cottage Grove (next to the Row River Nature Park/Turtle Ponds). Seen for several minutes from just 20 feet away, it was alternating between foraging in the gravels and perching on boulders doing "deep knee bends". It then went into the raised rock flower beds of iris bordering the gate. A few minutes later it was on the boulders along the paved entrance drive and at 8:08pm it disappeared into the iris again. Lots of bobbing action but no singing. It seemed at ease and "at home" there so I'm hoping to photograph it tomorrow.

A bird story made Wednesday's C.G. Sentinel newspaper reporting that a pair of nest-building Osprey near the Nature Park was causing power outages. After EPUD removed the nest 3 times, the city volunteered an abandoned electric pole in the water treatment plant grounds as an alternative site. EPUD placed a platform and a bunch of "starter sticks" on the pole and by last Friday the Osprey were reportedly occupying it. I was happy to see the pair on their newly installed platform this evening with a nest taking shape (which is when the Rock Wren hopped up on a boulder in front of me).

There are at least 8 occupied (some incubating, some still building) Osprey nests between Cottage Grove Lake and Walker (halfway between C.G. and Creswell), a distance of about 11 miles along the Coast Fork of the Willamette (this includes the new nest at the town park). I don't know how many more might be found along the Row River east of town or at Dorena Lake.

Tori Morgan
Cottage Grove
POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JOIN OR QUIT: //www.freelists.org/list/obol