[obol] Re: Request ID assistance - Gyrfalcon, or Peregrine

  • From: whoffman@xxxxxxxx
  • To: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 19:52:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi -

I agree with Dave's assessment, but just want to quibble about one statement.

Dave wrote "... Peregrines, which are more prone to dining on waterfowl and
shorebirds."

This is generally true but some of the Gyrfalcons wintering in western Oregon
in the past have seemed to specialize on Cackling Geese. To be sure they are
out in the wide open pastures or seedgrass fields.

Wayne

From: "David Irons" <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
From: larmcqueen@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 16:22:27 -0800
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx

Jack,
I would call this a Peregrine, for the same reasons you have. The head markings
and breast match Peregrine more than Gyr. There is one shot showing the
underside of tail, not particularly diagnostic, but tends to match more, the
regular pattern of Peregrine.

Larry

On Nov 22, 2015, at 2:20 PM, Jack Williamson < jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx >
wrote:

I liked the stocky body on this bird for Gyr.

But you will see in the third photograph which I just turned up the exposure
on, the underside of the flight feathers and dark mustache make me think it
might be a Peregrine.

I do not have any shots of the underside of the tail.

Click Slideshow for full-screen http://www.jack-n-jill.net/p480158225

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon