[obol] Re: Remembering...may we never forget

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 16:33:31 -0700

Paul,

Your post is both a sobering and joyous reminder of the many contributions that
this roster of folks made to Oregon birding. Some, namely Joe and Dean, left us
very much prematurely. Others like Ben, Clare, Marion and Ann lived long and
full lives. Ann will be among the Baker County listing elite until the end of
time. Martha along with Matt Hunter opened our eyes to the birding joys of
Douglas County. Above all, these folks, at least those that I came to know, we
damn fine company and ambassadors for this pastime we all share.

I always had a special fondness for Clare Watson. We worked together on
multiple projects back in the 1980's when she was the OBRC Sectetary and I was
a punk 20 something kid. She managed to keep meetings on track and brought a
professional librarian's (which she was) sense of order to the filing and
processing of records. Clare mentored many of Eugene's young birders in her
day. A number of us attended her a memorial several years back. Her sons
brought a number of bird-related nicknacks to the ceremony and encouraged each
attendee to take one as a momento. I have a ceramic Kookabura that I treasure.

Like me, Joe Evanich grew up in the Portland area. He and I and David Fix
birdied together often in the late 70's and early 80's. We once chased a nutria
across a muddy field on Sauvie's Island. I'm not sure what we would have done
with it or what it would have done to is had we caught it. Probably a good
thing that we didn't find out. I saw my first Brambling with Joe over in La
Grande. He was attending Eastern Oregon State University at the time. I road
tripped over from Portland with the late Mark Koninendyke.

These folks have enriched many lives. May we all strive to do likewise. Seeing
their names in the listing results each year invariably evokes a flood of
memories.

Dave Irons