[obol] Red Knot 6-pack, other Coos shorebirds

  • From: Daniel Farrar <jdanielfarrar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 14:47:17 -0700

It has been pretty quite for shorebirds since the spectacle earlier in the
month.  Today's highlights from the beach in extreme north Coos county
included 6 RED KNOTS.  Largest group I have seen this season.  Seems to be
a good year for Red Knots.  I usually average just a handful a year, but
they seem fairly regular this spring.  Also close by were 25 WHIMBREL.  Odd
to see that many on the beach together.  Those largish groups are usually
flybys or in bays.  Also 300-500 SANDERLINGS in scattered large flocks.  At
least 1 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, a few DUNLIN and WESTERN SANDPIPERS.
Sanderlings are great fun to watch this time of year.  Their breeding
plumage is just awesome and makes me dream of stints and other fun
shorebirds.

Daniel Farrar
Dunes City, Oregon
jdanielfarrar@xxxxxxxxx