[obol] Record breaking OBA photo contest!

  • From: Stephanie Hazen <stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DOUGLAS BEALL <bealla49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 08:11:56 -0700

HI, Obolites!

I asked Treesa Hertzel, our OBA webmaster to comment on our photo contest
for March. We had 24 entries and Treesa said, “ It was a record-breaking month
for the number of people who voted: 191. Never seen a number like that
before.”

Treesa posts the photos, tallies the votes, and we double check each other for
accuracy sake. She also deletes the duplicate votes! So only vote once!

I caught up with the winner Doug Beall, and asked how he got the winning
photo. He said, "Pine Grosbeak behavior was the first challenge.It was my
initial
exposure to this high elevation, sometimes silent bird. Several trips up the PC
trail
were needed as I wanted to capture them in actual pine trees. The mountain
morning
light was near perfect and the Pineys were ground feeding and these
individuals were cool with my presence.”

You can see, Doug takes his photography seriously, planning, working, trying
over
and over again.

Doug uses a Canon 1D MK IV camera with his 600 mm lens with a doubler.

You can see more of his images of these birds at his website:

http://abirdsingsbecauseithasasong.com/recent-journeys
<http://abirdsingsbecauseithasasong.com/recent-journeys>
Congratulations, Doug!

You may submit images to the April contest at the OBA site:

http://www.orbirds.org <http://www.orbirds.org/>

Click on Monthly Photo contest and follow the prompts.

The last day to enter is April 14. Voting is April 15 to the end of the month.
The April winner is posted May 1

Cheers!

Stephanie