[obol] Re: Ravens and other beasts of battle

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 12:10:16 -0700

I believe I read somewhere that the phrase "a murder of crows" comes from when the bubonic plague was rampant in Europe; the site of a flock of crows often meant they were feeding on a corpse of a human. Hence a murder of crows.

I would imagine this would make them a rather unpleasant critter to the humans at that time. And humans may have had a propensity to remove them from their presence, or at least wish they weren't hanging around......

Cheers
Dave Lauten

On 3/23/2015 11:50 AM, Joel Geier wrote:
there is some cultural evidence that this was the case for ravens as
well as wolves in Europe.

In Old English (Anglo-Saxon) battle poems from the last few centuries
leading up to the Norman Conquest, one recurring motif involves the
three "beasts of battle" (raven, wolf, and apparently White-Tailed
Eagle) which would show up on battle sites to grab an easy lunch after
the humans did their thing. For example (from "The Battle of
Brunanburh"):

"Leton him behindan hraew bryttian
  sealwig-padan, thone sweartan
  hraefn hyrned-nebban, and thone hasu-padan,
  earn aeftan hwit, aeses brucan,
  graedigne guth-hafoc, and thaet graege deor,
  wulf on wealda."

which can be translated:

"They left behind them, to enjoy the corpses, the dark coated one, the
dark horny-beaked raven and the dusky-coated one, the eagle white from
behind, to partake of carrion, greedy war-hawk, and that gray animal,
the wolf in the forest."