[obol] Raptor Migration Count at Green Ridge this weekend

  • From: "L. T." <natureeager2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 21:38:26 -0700

Join the East Cascades Audubon Society this weekend to count raptors
migrating past us at Green Ridge! We anticipate this weekend to be in the
height of the migration. But the birds' flights are affected by the
weather, so I can't make any guarantees. But you already knew that as a
birder, didn't you?

I also anticipate having several counters on the ridge. Identifying raptors
in flight is challenging. This is an excellent opportunity to practice (or
show off your mad raptor ID skills). You can also help spot with no
pressure added.

Good to know:
1. It's hunting season; wearing bright colors is a good idea.
2. Looks like it might be chilly up there this weekend; bringing extra warm
clothes, a hat, and gloves is probably a good idea.
3. The sun may still burn you (exposed site in Central Oregon); bringing
sun protection would be recommended by your doctor, I'm sure.
3. There are no toilet facilities at the survey site; being prepared for
that is a great idea, especially if you plan to be there all day.
4. Last week the birds put on a good show. Example: a peregrine falcon
dive-bombed a couple of eagles as they were passing by, and there were a
few Cooper's Hawk/ Sharp-shinned hawk interactions too. At least this is
what I was told. I wasn't able to make it last weekend, and the substitute
coordinator might have been trying to make me jealous. :)
5. If you can't make it this weekend, there will be one more weekend
available to join us -- October 10 & 11.

Here's a link for directions and more information.
http://www.ecaudubon.org/#!green-ridge---raptor-migration/ciou

Hope to see you there!

Leanna Taylor