[obol] Re: RBA: POSSIBLE COMMON BLACK HAWK KLAMCO

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 5hats@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 22:30:02 -0700

I hadn't remembered that sighting as being from the P Ranch.  The P Ranch would
be as good of a place or better than any in Oregon for the species to occur.
Common Black Hawks are highly migratory, and are riparian.  In southern Arizona
they follow what is left of the Santa Cruz River north in their spring
migration.  I have also seen a northward migrant flying  high up California
Gulch in SE Arizona.   They do have to fly over deserts to find riparian zones.
  I agree that the species is a very reasonable possible vagrant to SE or SC
Oregon.

Jeff Gilligan