[obol] Re: RBA Marion HUDSONIAN GODWIT, local RBA Whimbrels 6/1/2014

  • From: GLEN LINDEMAN <gdalindy@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2014 21:07:40 -0700

Tim Johnson, Barbara Dolan and I also found Roy's Hudsonian Godwit and 3
Whimbrels and this afternoon.  Roy mentioned that he had permission to enter
the property, as we also did (with the property owner in tow, I might add).
PLEASE, be aware that the entire area to the east of Duckflat Rd is private
property, and any birding done here MUST be done from the road unless you have
the owner's permission.  Do not cross any fences or enter any gates, whether
they are open or not.  I am sure that everyone reading this knows those rules,
but there are always a few who ignore them.  This area is developing into a
great birding area, and we are starting to build a good relationship with the
property owners.  Let's not do anything to endanger that relationship.  Thanks!

So much for the soap box.  I have been birding this area for years (it's only a
few miles from my home), and it was a great birding spot even before the recent
conservation developments.  It's always a good spot for shorebirds in the
spring.  Today we found 9 Wilson's Phalaropes and a couple of Spotted
Sandpipers with the HUGO, as well as a Bonaparte's Gull, on or around the pond.
 The 3 Whimbrels were farther back, in the grass, but hidden from the road.  We
also heard a Yellow-breasted Chat and a Virginia Rail calling from the marshy
area.  A week ago we saw 4 BOGUs and a dozen or more Long-billed Dowitchers on
the pond, all scoped from the roadside.

For those who don't know the area well, it's a couple miles south of Turner, or
a couple miles north of Marion.  The ponds noted above are about a half mile
south of Hunsaker Rd, on the east side of the railroad tracks, just south of
the area where the trees and brush end.  There is a large pond 50 or 100 yards
east of the road, which is where the birds mentioned above have been found.  In
winter and early spring it's a great spot for waterfowl, shorebirds and
raptors...

- Glen Lindeman  ^'^