[obol] RBA LONG-TAILED JAEGER KLAMCO

  • From: Kevin Spencer <rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "klamathbasinbirdnews: googlegroups.com" <klamathbasinbirdnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 19:09:10 -0400 (EDT)

The LONG-TAILED JAEGER reported late yesterday was again present this morning, and by 8:00 AM a group had hiked to within 30 yds of it as it was actively feeding on surface insects (big caddis fly hatch, and likely the famous midges were in force on the surface too). It was still present as of 11:00 AM. It's an intermediate juvenile or hatch year bird. From a distance it appears to be quite dark. Its undertail coverts and vent area have bold white and black barring.

One photo is located here....: https://www.flickr.com/photos/120003873@N05/14912789177/in/photostream

and there are others at the same site. Although not the best, they might provide enough views to be sure about the species. If you have any comments, please let me know. Nels Nelson likely has better photos.

It was further south than it was yesterday, along the easterrn shore of Lake Ewauna, Klamath Falls, but its distinctive shape could be seen from quite a distance even through some thin low early morning lake fog.

If it is around later today, it could be closer to Veteran's Park as it was at about 7:00 PM last night, or along the eastern shore where it seems to be spending most of its time. If it is along the eastern shore, one can walk from Veteran's Park along the now primitive but future lakeshore trail. The trail does wave away from the water in some locations, but will head back towards the water eventually. The trail heads south past the treatment plant, a large blue barn/shed, and an old mill burner. The trail continues south past an airport mitigation wetland (noted by a sign), and heads towards a rail line bridge. We did not go as far at the bridge. We tracked it as it fed for probably a quarter of a mile.

Other birds of note: RED-BREASTED MERGANSER AND MEW GULL ( at hatch year bird that will have to survive the scrutiny of an OBOL viewers test, so photos will be shared soon for that!).

Shorebirds were located in the second southern pond on Wingwatcher's Trail on the west side of Lake Ewauna.

Kevin Spencer
rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx
Klamath Falls, OR