[obol] RBA LAWRENCE's Goldfinch at Kirtland ponds, Medford

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 09:09:00 -0700

forwarded from Rogue Birds

--
Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

I blog at:  oregonreview.blogspot.com

From:  Jeff Tufts <tallahto@xxxxxxx>
Date:  Fri, 17 May 2013 09:07:26 -0700 (PDT)
To:  Rogue Birds <rv-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:  [RV Birds] Lawrence's Goldfinch at Kirtland

There was a female Lawrence's Goldfinch at the Kirtland ponds early this
morning, but it took off almost immediately after I had it in my binoculars,
and I have no idea where it went.  It popped up out of the grass along the
chain link fence just east of the ponds, landed briefly on the barbed wire
and then departed in a northeasterly direction out over the asphalt-covered
ponds.  I lost it quickly in the sun.

Shorebirds at the ponds included four Dunlin, one Least Sandpiper, four
Western Sandpipers, three Spotted Sandpipers and the same two Black-necked
Stilts that have been around for several days.  The phalarope population
seems to change from day to day.  There were seven Phalaropes there
Wednesday morning (all Red-necked), none yesterday, and two Red-necked this
morning.

Not many waterfowl to be seen although good variety with the species list
including Green-winged Teal, Cinnamon Teal, Ruddy Duck, Bufflehead, Gadwall,
Canvasback, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail and of course Mallard and
Canada Goose.

There was a Western Grebe in the second pond yesterday morning, but it
didn't figure to stick around, and it wasn't there today.

Jeff Tufts
Medford