[obol] RBA: Common Redpoll in Deschutes County: Deschutes River Woods

  • From: Jim Moodie <jmoodie@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 20:16:34 +0000

This morning I spotted a COMMON REDPOLL at one of our feeder stations along
with a small flock of Pine Siskins. We live in Deschutes River Woods, about 5
miles SW of Bend in Deschutes County.

While gathering my camera, my wife shouted out that a Sharp-shinned Hawk came
zooming in and grabbed a bird. Kim thought it was a siskin, but only a few
siskins and house finches have returned to the feeder since then. I will keep
scanning the feeders today to see if it returns. This is only the second
Common Redpoll we have observed here: the first was in February 2002.

Time to check the birches around town?

cheers,
Jim

Dr. Jim Moodie