[obol] Re: Pygmy Nuthatch still at Gabriel Park in Portland

  • From: Jamie Simmons <sapsuckers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 10:25:23 -0800

While visiting Portland last Weds, I tried unsuccessfully for the Pygmy
Nuthatch.
I arrived at about 4:50 pm to an empty parking lot.
Within 15 minutes, the parking lot was mostly full: soccer practice.
Lots of noise and activity.
It may not have affected my chances of seeing/hearing the bird, but it
certainly didn't help.

Jamie Simmons
Corvallis

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Craig Tumer <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On my fourth attempt, I was finally able to connect with the Pygmy
Nuthatch that seemingly all other Portland birders have seen in Gabriel
Park in the last couple of weeks. Just before 08:00 this morning, I heard
its squeaky calls coming from one of the planetrees on the steep slope
between the two ball fields. It then moved into the tall ponderosa pines
between the ball fields and the parking area, and I was able to get good
views as it fed in the pines for several minutes. Now, to find a Mountain
Chickadee in Multnomah County.

Craig Tumer
Portland
OBOL archives: www.freelists.org/archive/obol Manage your account or