[obol] Re: Purple Martins in Western Oregon

  • From: "Paul T. Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "MidValley birding" <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Yamhill Birders" <YamhillBirders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 05:58:22 -0700

Folks,

I didn't remember the sighting of PURPLE MARTINS at Ankeny NWR that Roy referred to, but I did some digging.

My computer spreadsheets (2000-2013) only list Martins in Marion county in 2002. My spiral notebook led me to May 19, 2002: 9 birds in Multnomah county, 12 in Marion county.
My diary lists the following:
" Out along Marine Drive...At the Sea Scout base I found p. martins."

"I.. drove to Ankey NWR by 1:45...Over Mohoff pond I heard p. martins. I found 12 of them at a snag on the S side of Eagle pond."

Good memory, Roy!

Back in the 1990's there was a colony of Purple Martins east of Salem, using snags on a ridge north of Hwy 22 where Old Mehama Rd. meets the highway. Those snags are no longer there.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul T. Sullivan

===================
Subject: Purple Martins in Western Oregon
Date: Fri May 24 2013 17:29 pm
From: roygerig AT hotmail.com

There may be 2 quite separate populations of Purple Martins in Western
Oregon - one that nests along waterways, mainly the coast and up the
Columbia(?) and a few inland, and they use nest boxes or gourds.  The other
population nests in natural cavities (in snags) in the coast range, the
Cascades, NW California, very few in Washington, some in Colorado.  This may
partially explain the complexity of PUMA migration in western Oregon.

I spent a nesting season and summer looking for PUMAs nesting in snags or
other natural cavities about 10 years ago.  I am writing this from memory,
not notes so I could be off some, but I found 30-45 PUMAS in very large old
snags in west Polk and Benton Counties, a few more in east Lincoln, another
20 or so in east Linn County.  East Marion County is a question - I found
none there, but habitat exists.  ...

 A few years ago Paul Sullivan saw a similar number of PUMAS
at Ankeny NWR, a one day wonder also.  My belief is that these birds are
part of the nestbox populations, just passing through.

Roy Gerig, Salem OR