[obol] Possible female Calliope more like a very young Anna's

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 20:09:59 -0700

Late this afternoon, I posted a message about having a possible female
Calliope on Saturday. This hummer (or one that appeared shockingly similar
to the one I saw on Saturday) appeared again just before 8 this evening,
and I got a better look this time. Outside of this hummer being small and
having almost no tail (the wingtip projections were very striking),
everything else about it pointed towards a recently hatched Anna's. It was
stocky in build, there was no buff coloring on the underparts, and its
throat was overwhelmingly white and did not contain the fine spotted
pattern that I'd expect on a Calliope. I also seem to recall that tail
feathers on very young Anna's can be rather short.

Brandon
Eugene