[obol] Possible Broad-winged over Portland

  • From: Rhett Wilkins <rhettwilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 15:46:20 -0800

Hi Obol,

I don't know much about the timing here, but I believe I just saw a
Broad-winged Hawk being harassesed by crows just a couple of blocks north
of OMSI in SE Portland. Seen with my naked eye only, it circled like a
Buteo, worked fairly hard on the wing occasionally, was smaller than the
crows, had insanely broad wings, and its most distinctive feature was its
broad black tail band from underneath. It was no accipiter and I don't
know what it could be but a Broad-winged.

FYI. If yore in the neighborhood, take peak at the sky for it.

Rhett Wilkins