[obol] Portland Mountain Chickadees

  • From: Gerard Lillie <gerardlillie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 09:08:16 -0800

Hello All,
It's my turn to add some info to the Mountain Chickadee invasion. Alice and I
were in AZ for three weeks and when we got home I worked for six straight days
and never saw my feeders during daylight hours. Yesterday there were a large
number of Mountain Chickadees coming to our feeders. I'm not sure how many as
there was a steady stream of Mountain, Black-capped and Chestnut-backed
Chickadees that were joined by Red-breasted Nuthatches, Lesser Goldfinches and
House Finches. They streamed back and forth between the feeders and two
Sequoias. This almost frantic activity went on for a good 45 minutes! Alice and
I sat watching in amazement having never seen such activity go on for such a
long time. There were a minimum of five since I saw that many at one time but
I'm sure there were more than that. It was quite the show.
As I type this Sunday morning they have returned. I'm looking forward to seeing
how long they stick around.

Good birding, Gerard

Gerard Lillie
Portland, OR