[obol] Poorwill - Illinois Valley Josephine Co

  • From: Romain Cooper <romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: RV-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 09:09:58 -0700

Yesterday evening (5/22/14) Christie & I drove up Waldo Lookout (aka Sanger Peak) Rd. looking for Common Poorwill. We heard a single Common Poorwill calling and then saw a bird (possibly the same bird) on the road. We observed the bird hawking moths from ground perches on the road in our headlights.

This site - Waldo Lookout Road - Upper Scotch Gulch Cr. (Scotch Gulch is the watershed we live in.) - is an historic location for Common Poorwill. The landscape is "ultramafic" (peridotite and serpentine) with resultant open, sparse vegetation.

Waldo Lookout Road is a Forest Service Rd. that comes off Waldo Road. The first 3 miles of Waldo LO Rd. have decent Poorwill habitat. The bird we detected was at about mile 2.5.

cheers,   Romain

Romain Cooper
10398 Takilma Road
Cave Junction, OR 97523