[obol] Polk Co. migration count this Saturday, May 11th

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: MidValley Birds <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 May 2013 18:17:07 -0700

Hi all,

The Polk County installment of the North American Migration Count is
looking to be a little short-handed this year. I'll only be able to
spend part of the morning counting myself, and most of our other
regulars have even less time to spend.

So, if you happen to go birding in Polk County on Saturday (think:
Baskett Slough National Wildlife Refuge), whatever you see will most
likely be useful for the county totals. If you can send me your lists,
I'll appreciate that.

Please include an estimate of the number of hours that you spent
birding, and the number of miles that you covered by car, on foot,
kayak, dogsled, etc. (not sure if there's still any snow on Sugarloaf).

We rarely have much overlap of coverage in Polk County, away from
Baskett Slough NWR and the vicinity. If you do visit the BSNWR area, it
would be helpful to give a separate count for that area.

Otherwise, you're welcome to take advantage of the "minimal hassle"
rules of the NAMC. This has long been the "least-hassle" count in terms
of datakeeping requirements, so there is no need to turn it into an
ordeal -- unless you want to.

Happy birding & have fun out there,
Joel

--