[obol] Re: Playback/CA Towhee

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:50:12 -0700

Dave Lauten suggested that there is "no clear answer." Actually all you have to
do is answer the question that he poses (see below).

"Who decides what is acceptable and what isn't? "

The answer to this question is simple. Each individual birder is ultimately
responsible for their behavior in the field. With the exception of National
Wildlife Refuges, some state wildlife areas and state parks (some states) there
are no enforceable rules/laws or "police" who are present to monitor our
choices.

It would be nice if there were standards that everyone agreed to, but that
seems to be an unrealistic  expectation. Working to raise the bar is probably
best done one on one or in small groups or when leading a trip into the field,
as that provides a context for meaningful teaching. Shawneen and I lead trips
regularly both locally and afar and this topic is raised on almost every trip.
Most birders, particularly newcomers, want to know how to interact with birds
appropriately.

My resistance to bringing this discussion into this forum is that your audience
is comprised of mostly strangers in the sense that you have not been into the
field them and therefore have no notion of how they pish, use playback or
approach birds that they want to photograph. What invariably occurs is an "us
vs them" debate, where we are quick to be self-righteous about our own behavior
and equally quick to point out the shortcomings of semi-fictitious "bad
apples."  We all profess to know who "they" are even though we may not have
made any effort to interact directly with those whom we designate as
misbehavers.

This occurs over and with photographer vs birder debates. No one wins or has
much success converting others to their point of view. It's easy to tell people
what to do in this forum, but it doesn't afford many teachable moments. In my
opinion, those occur in the field.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR