[obol] Pittock, NW Portland, week ending 5/07/14

  • From: Wink Gross <winkg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 21:09:29 -0700

Here is the summary of my morning dogwalks from NW Seblar Terrace to the
Pittock Mansion for the week 5/01/14 to 5/07/14.  Species neither seen nor
heard the previous week (a "short week" with only 2 walks) are in ALL CAPS.

Additional information about my dogwalk, including an archive of weekly
summaries and a checklist, may be found at
http://www.hevanet.com/winkg/dogwalkpage.html

The sightings are also in eBird.

We did the walk 4 days this week.

This Friday, Lillian (the dog) and I will be leading the Morning Bird Song
Walk, sponsored by Portland Audubon.  The walk begins at 7AM at the Pittock
Mansion parking lot and lasts about 2 hours--but you're free to leave whenever
you need.  Free, open to the public, no pre-registration required.

Species                # days found  (peak #, date)

ROCK PIGEON                 1  (1, 5/2)
Band-tailed Pigeon          3  (4, 5/5)
MOURNING DOVE               1  (2, 5/7)
VAUX'S SWIFT                1  (5, 5/7)
Anna's Hummingbird          4  (4)
Rufous Hummingbird          3  (1)
Red-breasted Sapsucker      1  (1, 5/7)
Downy Woodpecker            4  (2)
Hairy Woodpecker            1  (1, 5/7)
Northern Flicker            4  (3)
PILEATED WOODPECKER         1  (1, 5/7)
Pacific-slope Flycatcher    2  (2, 5/2 & 7)
Warbling Vireo              2  (4, 5/5)
Steller's Jay               4  (3)
Western Scrub-Jay           3  (2)
American Crow               4  (10)
Violet-green Swallow        2  (2, 5/5)
BARN SWALLOW                1  (1, 5/7)
Black-capped Chickadee      4  (10, 5/5)
Chestnut-backed Chickadee   4  (6)
Bushtit                     1  (1, 5/5)
Red-breasted Nuthatch       4  (3)
BROWN CREEPER               1  (1, 5/5)
Pacific Wren                4  (3)
Bewick's Wren               3  (1)
HERMIT THRUSH               1  (1, 5/7)
American Robin              4  (17, 5/7)
European Starling           4  (6, 5/7)
Orange-crowned Warbler      3  (3)
Yellow-rumped Warbler       1  (3, 5/7)
Black-throated Gray Warbler 4  (4, 5/5)
Townsend's Warbler          2  (3, 5/5)
Wilson's Warbler            4  (6)
Spotted Towhee              4  (6)
Song Sparrow                4  (9)
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW      1  (1, 5/7)
Dark-eyed Junco             4  (7)
Western Tanager             2  (6, 5/2)
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK       1  (2, 5/5)
House Finch                 3  (1)
Lesser Goldfinch            3  (2)
AMERICAN GOLDFINCH          2  (1, 5/5 & 7)
Evening Grosbeak            3  (6, 5/2)

In the neighborhood but not found on dogwalk:  BARRED OWL

Misses (birds found at least 3 days in previous 2 weeks but not found this
week): Purple Finch

Wink Gross
Portland