[obol] Pine Siskinapalooza - Portland area

  • From: J Hayes <balgryph@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 06:41:58 -0700

Yesterday (Monday) morning I encountered a swirling, chattering flock of at
least 200 PINE SISKINS in an oaky residential area on the west side
(Metzger, Washington co.)

I had smaller flocks of siskins at several other locations in the general
Tigard - Tualatin area later in the day.

Numbers wise, Pine Siskin was by far the most abundant bird species I
detected yesterday. Although I have been finding siskins in the metro area
since mid September, there has been a huge uptick in numbers over the past
week. Also, a few RED CROSSBILLS and scattered occasional EVENING
GROSBEAKS over the past month.

Happy Octobird!

- Jeff Hayes

SE Portland