[obol] Pine Grosbeak and woodpeckers

  • From: kit <kit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 20:04:43 -0800

After finding Dave Lauten and Kathy Castelein on the PCT north of Santiam Pass, we saw at least 25 Pine Grosbeak, quite flighty and unsettled. We tracked a female Black-backed Woodpecker with two other woodpeckers tapping in the distance. Then two females were in the same tree, seemingly sparring with each other, darting around the trunk, one raising its wings several times, then a short in-flight tangle and they both went off. We never saw a male.

We found a female American Three-toed Woodpecker on the PCT near Big Lake, about 100 yards south of where the trail crosses the Old Santiam Wagon Road, Forest Service 811 or 810, depending on the map.

Kit Larsen with Jim Ott and Jim Hardman
Eugene