[obol] Re: Photos: Wood Duck Variation- Juvenile or Hybrid?

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "photojleonard@xxxxxxxxx" <photojleonard@xxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 02:03:38 +0000

Jim,
In all likelihood this is a young male Wood Duck. There is nothing about the
plumage and pattern of this bird that is outside the norm for Wood Ducks, thus
there is no reason to think it might be a hybrid. The flank pattern is like
that of a female or young bird. The other less likely scenario is that this is
an "intersex" duck. The default plumage of ducks is the male aspect and as
females age they actually start taking on an appearance that is more like that
of a male. However, the head and bill pattern are dead on for an adult male
Wood Duck and shows no features that in are intermediate between a male and a
female.
There is an intersex Wood Duck at the ponds at Dawson Creek Corporate Park
(behind the Hillsboro Library, where the Rusty Blackbird is being seen). It
clearly shows a head pattern and overall body plumage that is sort of
intermediate between male and female. Mark Lundgren brought the Dawson Creek
bird to my attention a few weeks ago. According to Steve Nord, it has been
around for a few years. I was able to relocate and photograph the bird after
hearing about it from Mark and I hope to put together an article about the
plumage anomaly that occurs as female ducks age.
Dave IronsPortland, OR
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 06:26:15 -0800
Subject: [obol] Photos: Wood Duck Variation- Juvenile or Hybrid?
From: photojleonard@xxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

When photographing wood ducks at Crystal Springs Lake I noticed a wood duck
with different colors and markings on it's side.  Is this a juvenile, hybrid or
what?  Click on link below for two photos one normal and the other with the
variation. Happy Birding, Jim Leonard.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108302360004365615395/albums/5954282101603753921?authkey=CIXOgoeXta3qFA