[obol] Photos: Eastern Phoebe, Douglas County

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 2013 14:40:26 -0700

Hi Folks,

Following is a link to photos of the Eastern Phoebe at O.C. Brown County
Park, 0.6 miles east of the Dixonville Store, 31 May 2013. First located
0750 in top of trees just east of the restroom/parking area. I came back a
couple times and it was still there at about 1030 or 1100. Also located on
north side of road on top of trees there; on top of and underneath road
bridge; and just 100 ft to southeast of restroom on top of trees. Located
easiest by following song. Note there are also numerous Western Wood-Pewees
and a Black Phoebe or two at the park. I was impressed how much one of the
pewee's songs sounds like the phoebe (when the pewee vollies back and forth
with "feew-be-dee, peeeurr, feew-be-dee, peeeurr"). Never thought about
that before. I described the phoebe as
'weebudee...weebrrr...weebudee...weebrrr...." where the second phrase is
two syllables and buzzy in the phoebe vs the single down-slur of the very
familiar call of the pewee.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157633839599993/

Also my eBird link for the bird (has link to map too).

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR