[obol] Pheasants; Osprey at nest - Cottage Grove

  • From: Tori Morgan <toripony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:58:59 -0800

This afternoon, two OSPREY were visiting an old nest beside the Coast Fork river behind the abandoned mill at Saginaw (just north of Cottage Grove) about 4:00 pm. One bird perched on the nest for a couple of minutes while the other flew around, then they both flew off toward the hills to the east.

I saw 2 RING-NECKED PHEASANTS in a field near Lynx Hollow Greenway north of Cottage Grove. Curiously, these birds were within 1/2 mile of the shooting range and I saw 1 there in almost the same spot in February 2015. There are also several small farms so I wonder if the residents or some hunters have something to do with those birds' presence. The flock of WESTERN MEADOWLARKS are still in the same area. This afternoon 13 of them kept flying up and about after gunshots from the shooting range, but despite the disturbance they have stayed there for 2 months now.

Incidentally, a resident in that neighborhood told me some of his HARLEQUIN DUCKS escaped this past winter. There's a lot of secluded ponds for them to hide in that area.

Tori M.
Cottage Grove
POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JOIN OR QUIT: //www.freelists.org/list/obol