[obol] Pectoral Sandpipers at Nehalem S. Ponds

  • From: David Bailey <davidcbaileyoregon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos_group <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 17:04:05 -0700

Tuesday 22 July 2014

I took a walk around the public areas of the Nehalem sewage ponds
(Tillamook County) this morning a few hours before high tide. Not one, but
three PECTRORAL SANDPIPERS, at least two of which were adults (the third I
did not see well enough to age before it flew off), were roosting on the
rock edges. Two LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS and two LEAST SANDPIPERS were the
only other migrant shorebirds around other than a single SPOTTED SANDPIPER
and KILLDEER which are probably a resident breeder. A half dozen CINNAMON
TEAL were paddling the ponds with about 50 or so MALLARDS. Lots of
swallows  representing all species that occur in Oregon were working the
aerial plankton over the NW pond, with the exception of Bank Swallow. I
tried to relocate the one I saw there last week with no positive result. A
juvenile YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER was in the small hybrid poplar patch on the
N. side of the compound.

David

David C. Bailey
Manzanita, Oregon (for the summer)