[obol] Re: Pale Red-tail in CO

  • From: "Tom Crabtree" <tc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gismiller@xxxxxxxxx>, "'Richard W. Musser'" <mussermcevoy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2015 15:48:03 -0800

Craig & Richard,

Hopefully Brian will reply to this as he is one of the experts in the field.  I
would say it isn’t Krider’s because of these factors:

1.       Range, as mentioned by Richard, Krider’s don’t occur this far west
(weakest of the arguments, to be sure); Liguori & Sullivan’s article in the
March 2010 Birding says there are no documented records west of the Rockies.

2.       The underparts are too white; Krider’s should show a lot of buffy
coloration

3.       The tail appears to be too red.  Krider’s are mostly white.

4.       Adult male Krider’s (as this appears to be in age) show a dark malar
region.  This bird’s is white with a few dusky streaks

5.       Krider’s should show a well-defined sub-terminal band on the tail.

One other point is that Krider’s taxonomic status is unclear.  Some consider it
a subspecies while others believe it is a pale extreme of the borealis
subspecies.

Tom Crabtree