[obol] Owls and other birds in the Willamette Valley

  • From: Max Smith <oregonmax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 21:59:01 -0800

This morning Sarah and I began our Willamette Valley birding at Davis Road
in Linn County. We pulled over near the post with the adjacent pine
sapling, described by Lars Norgren, and managed to spot one SHORT-EARED OWL
flying away to the southwest. We didn't see any more short-eareds, but
plenty of ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS were working the fields near the road.

We moved on to Brandon Road and found a BURROWING OWL perched atop a
culvert on the east side of the road. The local farmer stopped to say hi
and was thrilled to see that the bird had survived the recent weather.
While we admired the owl, a NORTHERN SHRIKE perched on the fence west of
the road to compete for our attention.

After a brief visit to Alvadore, where we quickly found the NORTHERN
MOCKINGBIRD in its usual holly tree, we drove to Finley National Wildlife
Refuge.  Among the many birds encountered were a WRENTIT singing near the
Cabell Marsh overlook and a WHITE-TAILED KITE perched near the viewing
platform off of Finley Road.

Happy Birding,

Max Smith
Portland