[obol] Osprey today Marion Co.

  • From: Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MidValley Birds <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:58:18 -0800

Much to our surprise on our North Santiam raptor run today, an osprey was sitting atop the big snaggy tree at the corner of Hwy 22 and Boedsheimer Rd., near Stayton and at least a mile from the North Santiam river. As we photographed it from the pull-off on Fern Ridge Rd, near that corner, it flew over us heading SW. Hours later when we returned from our end point of Gates, the osprey was back on the same tree, eating a large fish!

Are osprey hanging around later this year than usual? I seem to remember several recent reports of Osprey in the mid-valley?

Linda Fink
p.s. located one Red-shouldered Hawk again at Lyons City Park/John Neal Park, Lyons (Linn Co.). A pair seems to live there.
--
http://lindafink.blogspot.com/
http://lindafink-birdnotes.blogspot.com/