[obol] On a whole 'nuther topic: HIMALAYA BLACKBERRIES

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 14:00:20 -0800

Now that the annual owl-harassment thread has popped up, it seems like a
good time to bring up another favorite winter topic: Himalaya/Armenian
blackberries.

I offer the following observation just to get things going (excerpted
from a longer posting to the mid-valley birding list):

        On a walk around the open areas of Luckiamute State Natural Area's north
        unit today, the most striking thing was a very large number of SPARROWS
        using the weedy young tree plantings in the NE end of the big field.
        Nearly all of them were SONG SPARROWS. ... I estimated at least 120
Song
        Sparrows in that one patch ....

        [blah, blah blah, now let's cut to the chase]:

        ... I did not see a single FOX SPARROW, which is quite a change from
past
        years. As the first stage of an ambitious riparian tree-planting
project,
        many acres of HIMALAYA BLACKBERRIES were cleared, so there is less
dense
        brushy cover for Fox Sparrows.

OK, there's the raw material. I expect that this will wake up David Fix
down in Baja Jefferson, and at least briefly revive nostalgic use of the
word "kack" in this forum.

Happy birding,
Joel

P.S. Just in case that doesn't do the trick: REED CANARYGRASS and TEASEL
have also been nearly eradicated from this site in the past year. And I
didn't find any Swamp Sparrows.

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis