[obol] October 3rd Pelagic Report

  • From: Tim Shelmerdine <tim.spanish.guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 07:05:45 -0700

Hello, all.
Here is a late report of our very successful pelagic trip out of Newport
last Saturday.
Early weather forecasts led us to believe we would have good conditions for
the last scheduled trip of OREGON PELAGIC TOURS's first pelagic season. As
the week went on, wind and wave height forecasts increased up until the day
of our trip. We were able to go out, but swells were high, making
conditions difficult. Despite the less than optimal conditions, we found a
number of MARBLED MURRELETS just south of the Yaquina jetties. A nearby
flock of feeding birds provided many SOOTY SHEARWATERS, and a pair of
COMMON TERNS among other species. We headed southwest toward the north end
of the Perpetua Bank and Heceta Bank complex. Along the way, we saw
numerous SOOTY and PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, NORTHERN FULMARS, had our best
views of beautiful BULLER'S SHEARWATERS, and had some amazing views of
several SOUTH POLAR SKUAS, the latter doing what skuas do best --
terrorizing other birds like PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS. 4 FLESH-FOOTED
SHEARWATERS (most seen poorly or by few) was a surprisingly high number.
DALL'S PORPOISE joined us on several occasions to ride the bow wave.
Expected BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES appeared once we got over the continental
slope, as did our most common storm-petrel, FORK-TAILED STORM-PETREL. We
spent time with a dragger, headed offshore for a while, then returned to a
fishing trawler. In this area among the numerous FORK-TAILED
STORM-PETRELS, some observers saw two probable ASHY STORM-PETRELS, but an
interesting storm-petrel with a white rump was well described by several
observers as a WILSON'S STORM-PETREL (report to be submitted to the Oregon
Birds Records Committee). A chum slick at a dragger brought most species
close to the boat. Despite the tough ocean conditions, we had a good day.
We had an incredible 20 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS, and had most of the species we
would expect in October. Despite a very wet trip back to Newport, our
passengers and crew enjoyed this pelagic.
Tim