[obol] Newport ELEGANT TERN/FRANKLIN'S GULL update

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 02:54:27 +0000

Shawneen Finnegan and I spent the afternoon and early evening birding the south
jetty and Hatfield Marine Science Ctr. area. At least 17 Elegant Terns were
feeding and roosting along the base of the south jetty. A first-summer male
Black Scoter was also present. According to Wayne Hoffman, this bird has been
here all summer.
After birding the jetty area, we went to the large dredge spoil near the NOAA
docks. About 400 gulls–mostly Californias and Westerns–were roosting up there.
We refound the adult Franklin's Gull there and also had a 2nd cycle Mew Gull,
which is surprising this early in the Fall.
We finished up behind the science center, where we heard but did not see a
Long-billed Curlew calling. We also had 14 Whimbrel, one Greater Yellowlegs (no
other shorebirds), 23 Elegant Terns, one juv. Bonaparte's Gull and another big
flock of California Gulls.
We ran into several other birders, including Wayne Hoffman, Pat Tilly, Paul
Sullivan, and Carol Karlen. All were enjoying the Elegant Tern show.
Dave IronsPortland, OR