[obol] Re: New View, New Birds

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 20:46:06 -0700

Andrew,

Sure.  You just buy the scope and start putting in the 1000's of hours it
takes to become proficient in identifying gulls on the wing from a couple
miles away.  Do you have family or work duties that claim 90 % of your time?
How young area you?  Can you expect to live long enough to become good at
it?

Let us know when you see that Tropicbird!

Good birding,

Paul Sullivan

=========================
Subject: New View, New Birds
Date: Tue Jul 8 2014 21:43 pm
From: amattingly82 AT gmail.com
Well, we're now officially settled into our new home in Astoria, so most

likely no more yard Northern Mockingbird or Hooded Warbler for me. The new

house does have a small yard and a great view of the Columbia River- so

maybe I can add Brown Pelican to my yard list?

As I sit and watch the ships and boats pass, with 100's of trailing gulls

and other white birds- I wonder if anyone bothers to take a look at these

passing flocks for interesting birds-- that is to say, should I buy a scope

and start paying attention?

I can't recall in the past anyone remarking about a "passing ship watch" or

anything like that, but as I watch the huge ships with huge trailing flocks

I can't help but think their might be something interesting in there... if

I knew how to pick out an interesting gull that is.

Just a thought.

Andrew Mattingly

Astoria/Ilwaco