[obol] Re: Nesting catbirds at HMSC

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: joel.geier@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:11:55 -0700

Hi, Joel -

Some good points.

I do not know if you have come over to see the catbird(s), but I would like
to make a few comments about the location and the situation:

1..We have documented one fledgling.  There easily could be more.  No more
than one at a time was seen, but the way these birds are behaving, that
does not mean much.

2.  The specifics of the location reduce the opportunities for excessive
disturbance.  The core area where they are, is a very dense tangle of
 Himalayan Blackberry with emergent Twinberry, Red Elderberry, a small
Holly tree, and a large Willow.  Just to the west is a row of large Red
Alders.  The catbirds are mostly seen in the Holly and Willow, and seen
disappearing into the lower shrubbery.  Occasionally one is seen foraging
in the Twinberry.  They do not seem to use the alders much.  It would be
possible to leave the trail and wade into the thicket, but very difficult
and bloody, and I believe I would be able to see signs (broken or cut
vegetation) if anyone tried.   Or, someone could climb down off the
footbridge and wade through the intertidal high marsh toward the Holly
tree.  I suspect if someone did so, the birds would just move a short
distance back into the tangle ad go about their business.  All of the
viewing I know about has come from the trail (west end of Nature Trail, the
footbridge, the road near the HMSC back gate, or a brushy area across the
road.  The nature trail and the foot bridge offer the best views, but few
birders would be tempted to leave them for closer approach.

3.  The trail is heavily used by birders, joggers, walkers, and
occasionally bikers, and the whole community of birds in that tangle seems
to be very acclimated to the presence of people on the trail.

4.   Early on, some birders used song recordings on their phones to pull in
the male.  At the time he was thought to be alone.  He responded, but it
appears this did not reach a level of interfering with nesting.  At this
point in the cycle I doubt they would respond much.

Wayne