[obol] NAMC fun near the Columbia River

  • From: Charles Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 22:22:28 -0700

Today I was joined by Joanne Bernt and Kay Hartmann as we participated in the North American Migration Count in Sherman, Gilliam, Morrow and Wheeler counties. The bulk of our counting was done in Sherman and Gilliam but we counted as we traveled through Morrow and Wheeler. We found 79 species. Nothing earth shattering but a good day none-the-less. Highlights included 66 Yellow-headed Blackbirds between Kent and Grass Valley, 2 Long-billed Curlew near Willow Creek WMA, Bald Eagle near Moro, 12 American Avocet at Willow Creek WMA, 12 Caspian Terns at Willow Creek WMA, Gray Flycatcher Wehrli Canyon, Black-capped Chickadee near Olex, Long-billed Dowitcher at Condon Sewer Ponds, Least Sandpiper Fossil Sewer Ponds. Here's the whole list:

Canada Goose
Gadwall
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Ring-necked Duck
Ruddy Duck
Chukar
Ring-necked Pheasant
California Quail
White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
Virginia Rail
American Coot
Killdeer
American Avocet
Spotted Sandpiper
Long-billed Curlew
Least Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher
Ring-billed Gull
California Gull
Caspian Tern
Rock Pigeon
Eurasian Collared Dove
Mourning Dove
Vaux's Swift
Rufous Hummingbird
Northern Flicker
Gray Flycatcher
Say's Phoebe
Western Kingbird
Loggerhead Shrike
Western Scrub-Jay
Black-billed Magpie
American Crow
Common Raven
Horned Lark
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Bank Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Rock Wren
Canyon Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Mountain Bluebird
American Robin
European Starling
Nashville Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Spotted Towhee
Lark Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Golden-crowned Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Lazuli Bunting
Red-winged Blackbird
Western Meadowlark
Yellow-headed Blackbird
Brewer's Blackbird
Brown-headed Cowbird
Bullock's Oriole
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

--
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for
sure that just ain't so.

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,