[obol] N. Portland Mountain Chickadees, Surf Scoter, Yellowthroat

  • From: Jay Withgott <withgott@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 20:48:24 -0800

When Linda's Broughton Beach report came in, I was 10 minutes away, having been
checking a few spots in North Portland. My highlights aside from Linda's birds
were:

* 2 MOUNTAIN CHICKADEES at Heron Lakes Golf Course, in the pines at the
clubhouse & parking lot
* 1 ad. male SURF SCOTER from Broughton Beach, upriver with Scaup, seen w/ Em
Scattaregia & John Powell
* 1 COMMON YELLOWTHROAT (getting late) at Vanport Wetlands

Force Lake had 46 LB Dowitchers and 10 Greater Yellowlegs, whereas Vanport was
nearly dry.

Smith "Lake" was a vast basin of knee-high weeds. Bybee Lake was quite full of
water and CHOCK full of waterfowl -- about 11,000 ducks & geese by my count. 7
Tundra Swans and 5 Sandhill Cranes flew over while I was there, and Marilyn
Abend, Troy Clark, and others had had a small flock of White Pelicans go over
before I arrived.

Happy November birding,

JW/PDX