[obol] Re: My saga of a Squirrel-proof birdfeeder

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 16:02:51 -0700

Entertaining reading this thread.   I'll add a couple of thoughts.

When we lived in Madison WI Kathy worked at a "bird" store. There were two kinds of customers: Those who fought the squirrels, and those who succumbed. The ones who fought lead a more stressful life.....

One of the professors at the Wildlife Ecology department fought. He had a feeder he hung away from most everything.....but the squirrels learned to run down the railing of his deck and take that supersquirrel leap onto the feeder. Scott had enough. He ran a fishing line from his seat at the kitchen table, out the window, across the deck, and onto the bottom of the feeder. Said squirrel would charge down the railing, leap into the air, and Scott would yank the fishing line, which swung the feeder away from the incoming squirrel, who would then find itself airborne with no place to land and only gravity to compete with. Scott chuckled and chuckled over his victory. Of course then he had to go to work for the day and well, we all know what happens when we aren't around to see.......

Cheers
Dave Lauten
POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JOIN OR QUIT: //www.freelists.org/list/obol