[obol] Morrow County Blitz and new Morrow County Birds

  • From: Charles Gates <cgates326@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 08:54:44 -0700

The recent "eBird Blitz" in Morrow County produced some very interesting species and prompted me to look at the eBird county list at http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-OR-049?yr=all. There are 15 species on this list that are not on the Morrow County Checklist at https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwlY-wfLN-fEWUxhXzZ4T1Y5Uk0/edit. Some of these came from the recent Blitz and some were before. Some are surprising and some were probably omissions on the original list (It seems pretty likely that others have seen Mew Gull and Ferruginous Hawk in the county before). I thought I might find a few new species by perusing eBird, but 15!!! It will take a while to track down all these reports and, certainly, not all will be verifiable but the Morrow County Checklist is certainly going to get a major facelift.

Here are the 14 species that are NOT currently on the Morrow County Checklist but are on eBird. If you have any comments on these species in Morrow County, please send them to me.

Least Flycatcher - Sounds like it's pretty much verified by multiple observers
Pine Grosbeak - 5/25/14 - Little Butter Creek Rd. and NF 3310 area
Common Tern - 5/17/14 - Boardman
Marbled Godwit - 3/19/14 - Umatilla NWR
American Bittern - 5/23/13 - 44.88943, -119.58762
American Three-toed Woodpecker - 5/23/13 - 45.18007, -119.22598
Long-tailed Duck - 11/17/12 - Quesna County Park - Flew by close, very good look
Greater Sage Grouse - 3/31/13 - Umatilla NWR
Red-eyed Vireo - 6/6/12 - Boardman Conservation Area
Northern Saw-whet Owl - 5/16/12 - Greenwood Tree Farm - Eggs, Owlets and Adults seen and banded (except the eggs and a few too-young owlets) in conjunction with research project Red-breasted Merganser - 5/2/12 - Carty Reservoir - 2 females swimming by road.
Great Gray Owl - 3/18/05 - Hwy 207 Milepost 18
Lesser Goldfinch - 4/2/12 - Small flock in small shrub about 20 meters east of Hwy 74. At least two males with full black cap and darker back. All birds had obvious white base of primaries.
Ferruginous Hawk - 5/23/13 - Hwy 74
Mew Gull - 3/31/13 - Umatilla NWR

Incidentally, I have no records for Herring Gull or Nashville Warbler for Morrow County. If you know of sightings for these species, let me know.

--
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for
sure that just ain't so.

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957
Powell Butte,