[obol] Re: More pelagic pics

  • From: "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rabican1@xxxxxxxxx>, <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 10:40:58 -0700

Hi –

I agree that the light was challenging.  It often is at sea.  If overcast,
photos tend to be gray on gray.  If sunny, water can look unnaturally blue.  If
sunny and windy, the contrast between white-caps and blue water can be
excessive.  My experience is that with overcast skies, photos do particular
injustice to Sabine’s
Gull and to kittiwakes.

I worked at getting good estimates on some of the birds:

Pink-footed Shearwaters:  12,000 – 15,000 within 2 miles of the
processor/trawler (Kodiak Enterprise).  There were probably at least 1000 more
elsewhere.

Sooty Shearwaters:       At most, a few hundred.  Most of them must be up in
the Columbia River plume.

Buller’s Shearwaters:   maybe 20?

Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel:  As we left the Shearwater Flock behind the Kodiak
Enterprise I began counting the rafts of Fork-tails and got 6,000.  In
addition, we had probably a 100+ as we approached the trawlers, and a
scattering as we continued west.  I suspect when we chummed on the way back in
we could have been getting repeats.

Wayne