[obol] More Marion Co LB Curlews 8/2/14

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2014 14:26:40 -0700

This morning I had a pleasant birding encounter with Nick and Maureen - moved
here recently from Savannah, GA - this morning at the Hunsaker-Duckflat Rd
wetlands.
2 LONG-BILLED CURLEWS entertained us, flying near, flying far, landing close
and far.  First seen where Tim Johnson and I saw 4 of them a week ago.  That,
with the fact that Glen Lindeman saw one there about 2 months ago makes me
wonder if they nested  or attempted nesting.  Normally I think that Curlews and
Whimbrels are rare around here. This year I and others have seen Whimbrels (up
to 3) and Curlews (up to 4) along with 2 even more rare large shorebirds at
this site along Duckflat and Hunsaker Roads in Marion Co a almost a dozen
times.  I might have to retract some statements I have made about wetland
restorations in the WV where most of the land was wet in 1850, until beginning
in 1940-1950 when fields were tiled and drained so you could farm them before
June.
Hunsaker-Duckflat is mostly dry now, but surface water still exists in many
places.  Check it out
Roy Gerig, Salem OR