[obol] More Common Ground-Dove photos

  • From: ed mcv <ed.mcvicker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 21:58:48 -0700

I was lucky to stumbled upon the COMMON GROUND-DOVE for a second and much
closer look Monday after Trent Bray located it on Driftwood St. The bird
was walking/foraging along the edge of the roadway adjacent to the grassy
open area behind the Presbyterian Church south of 6th St. It eventually
passed within 15' of where I was standing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos_user.gne?rb=1&path=&nsid=10665268%40N04&page=&details=1

It's a really handsome bird whose provenance is an interesting question. I
looked at photos from Trent, Mark and Brandon before I posted these to see
how their images compared to mine. Details are a little different, no
doubt based on conditions and processing. (I cropped and made minor
adjustment to brightness and contrast to these photos.) Several on-line
photos I found of the western form(s) show a similar amount of reddish wash
to the bird I photographed today in very light overcast light.

Ed McVicker
Portland