[obol] Meanwhile, back in Klamath..

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "klamathbasinbirdnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <klamathbasinbirdnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:34:06 -0700

Thanks to traveling birder Chuck Gates and local birders Kevin Spencer and Dave
Hewitt, I decided to drive over to Klamath in search of some county birds.
I was able to refind a WHITE-THROATED SPARROW at the Wood River Wetlands, but
it took some patience. Sparrows were usually feeding in the shady parts of the
path along the first 1/2 mile of the gravel road (lined with trees). Not a
ubiquitous species in Klamath, there were also a few BLACK-CAPPED CHICKADEES
mixed with Mountain Chickadees. Also, I heard and then saw an adult
RED-SHOULDERED HAWK near the parking lot.
There were gulls, including 2 HERRING GULLS, and a few shorebirds at Hank's
Marsh, a simple gravel pullout is all there is to scope this area. Google maps
= 42.331016, -121.818717
The real gem of the day was the group of wet agricultural fields along
Stateline Rd. directly across from the Lower Klamath Auto Tour route. Google
maps = 42.002067, -121.706648Bring a scope! At least 11 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS,
15 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, 1-2 LONG-BILLED CURLEW and more.
View this checklist online at
Good birding,Russ NamitzMedford, OR