[obol] Mc Cowns Longspur, Klamath Falls area

  • From: jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: 'obol' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rriparia <rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 21:16:50 -0800

Forwarding a note by Peter Low about birding the weekend in Klamath area.
Date: 01-29-2018 21:11
From: PETER LOW <plbirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

This weekend was my annual trip to Klamath Falls and on Saturday 1/27/18 I found a McCowen's Longspur with at least 20 Lapland Longspurs within a flock of about 200 Horned Larks. The number of birds plus their constant movement back and forth between fields and vegetation made it difficult to relocate each time. I would loved to have spent more time with this bird but time was a constraint. I did not see tail pattern but what I did see ruled out all other Longspurs.
First noticed Longspur with plain buff face, lack of dark ear covert surround, prominent pale supercilium and unstreaked underparts. A darker Grayish band across chest mimicked pattern of adult breeding male. Rufous median coverts stood out as it was the only Rufous seen on the bird, also indicating a male in basic plumage. Bill, pale and looked heavier than nearby Lapland Longspur.
Location was off Township Road, heading east it was I believe the first drain that was drivable, and about halfway down. Sorry I do not know the name of the Drain but on the left side field was stubble, on the right looked like very short grazed grass. Hopefully locals will know where I mean, so basically where grazing turns to arable.
Opposite, on North side of Township was a flock of Horned Larks numbering about 400 birds but no Longspurs present. Just past mile marker 6 was huge flock of Blackbirds, 3000+, it contained many Tri-coloreds and 2 Yellow-headed Blackbirds, and saw One Cowbird.
One other Bird of note was a Bewick's Swan seen very well and close. It was on LKWR auto route between C and B. Many thousands of waterfowl here, very spectacular. Also, 10 plus Cackling Geese here along with Ross's, Snow, Greater White-fronted and Tundra Swan, again time was a Constraint.
  Moore Park had One California Towhee and Several Titmouse.

Peter Low.
Bend Oregon.
POST: Send your post to obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
JOIN OR QUIT: //www.freelists.org/list/obol