[obol] Mary's Peak, Sunday

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 09:03:05 -0700

The gate is now closed at Connor's Camp Saddle. To my surprise the parking
there was full and many people walking up the road. I tried it myself about
3pm. I hadn't previously appreciated how many motorcycles use that road, esp.
on sunny Sundays. The closed gate created a great opportunity. I detected only
juncos on the way up, turning around after Parker Creek but before west ridge.
There were 40 Red Crossbills feeding in the big hemlocks at Parker Creek Falls
on my way back down. Some were singing and a few Pine Siskins mixed in. A
thrush further down seemed to be a Swainson's. I was able to stand in the road
and wait until it flew out onto the road. On a typical Sunday cars would have
come along too soon.
While noisy in flight, crossbills are quiet when feeding. I may have walked
right by them on the way up. The hemlocks have a heavy cone crop but the
Doug-firs none. Lars